Want to learn how to develop your psychic power? - Telepathy - Telekinesis - Clairvoyance - Precognition - Extra Sensory Perception Hopefully we can all work together to better our understanding of these psychic phenomenon.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Morals and Ethics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you pull the lever?
Yes
Morals and Ethics I_vote_lcap57%Morals and Ethics I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
No
Morals and Ethics I_vote_lcap43%Morals and Ethics I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:31 pm

So imagine...

Its a nice day, you are walking home, you even have an ice cream. On your way home you have to cross a railway bridge. On the railway line below you notice a group of five kids playing on the tracks and there is a train hurtling towards them at a hundred miles an hour.

You notice there is a lever right by where you are standing, if you pull the lever the train will move onto an auxiliary track and avoid killing the five children. There is however a lone child playing on the second track who will be killed by you pulling the lever.

What do you do?

Last edited by Mark Mauvais on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://psychicinvestigation.forumotion.com
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:31 pm

They are all wearing headphones and can't hear you

You can't use TK or come up with a 'cunning plan'

Do you pull the lever or not?
Back to top Go down
IndigoTeen98
Psychic Jedi Knight
Psychic Jedi Knight
IndigoTeen98

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Jesus man, I'm horrible at this Sad. I would not pull it.
Back to top Go down
IndigoTeen98
Psychic Jedi Knight
Psychic Jedi Knight
IndigoTeen98

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

I don't know. It's a really hard choice you put here. There would be more the 1 death, yes. However I picture it as he was me alone standing on that track.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:31 pm

who voted?

there is no right or wrong answer. I want to hear what you guys would do...
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:32 pm

I voted yes.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Would you say Gus that 5 deaths vs 1 death is like "the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few"?
Back to top Go down
IndigoTeen98
Psychic Jedi Knight
Psychic Jedi Knight
IndigoTeen98

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 pm

I voted know minutes ago. But it's a pretty hard choice. It's like choosing between your girlfriend and your sister-in-law.
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Yes. If i knew what them maybe the choice would have been different.
Back to top Go down

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Utilitarian vs Not intervening to avoid guilt

I refuse to have only two options. You can always catch 2 rabbits despite the popular belief. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Nazir98 wrote:
I voted know minutes ago. But it's a pretty hard choice. It's like choosing between your girlfriend and your sister-in-law.

thats an easy choice!
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I voted no.

Firstly don't play on rail way tracks, thats the most important point! I think consciously acting to take one persons life is worse than not acting in this case. If I wasn't there they would have died anyway and I don't think one guy should have to sacrifice himself unwilling for these idiots. Its natural selection. But like R9 points out that is probably me trying to avoid the feeling of guilt.

Lets move the lever slightly...

Imagine instead you work in a hospital, there are five patients, one needs a new heart, one some new lungs, two of them need a new kidney each and the fifth one is waiting for a liver. There is one guy in a coma he probably won't come round. Would it be ok to kill that guy for his organs to save the other five?
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Well yes they are pretty stupid to be playing there. And maybe the one that was alone wanted to suicide so i made him a favour! The organs thing... You cannot implant any organ to any person. The blood type needs to fit.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 pm

gustanak wrote:
The organs thing... You cannot implant any organ to any person. The blood type needs to fit.

Yep, in this hypothetical case they are all the same blood type, O negative.
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Ok, i would give my own organs because i am a very gut person, gut very gut. And my sons and ddaughters would remember me as the gut person i was.
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Now speaking seriously i hate this questions.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mauvais
Admin
Admin
Mark Mauvais

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:32 pm

They are really tough, thats for sure. This is the kind of thing they ask you when you study philosophy or sociology at university.
Back to top Go down
gustanak
Psychic Apprentice
Psychic Apprentice

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

You guys made me think of the first one, you are right. I would say no. At first i though i would be like m job to do something so if i said no i would feel guilty for those 5. But i now understand is just a decision like any other.
Back to top Go down
Teresa Kinsley
Psychic Jedi Knight
Psychic Jedi Knight
Teresa Kinsley

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I voted no. Not that I won't do it in real life, but if I knew those kids who are a huge pain in the @$$ for everyone. What good have they done for me?
Exactly: Nothing! Ignore! Snicker!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Morals and Ethics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morals and Ethics   Morals and Ethics Empty

Back to top Go down

Morals and Ethics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Psychic Investigations :: The Paranormal Room :: Religious Discussion-